born day


    It's that annual time of year known to all as the Birth Day. A time to celebrate, a time to reflect, a time to acknowledge. You're birthday is supposed to be a day for you. That one day a year when you're supposed to focus on yourself and all the things that bring you joy, a day of total indulgence.
    But what if you're not in a particularly 'celebratory' mood? What if you've had a particularly stagnant year? Is there a point in celebrating mediocrity? Should that also be something to be celebrated? At the start of each New Year, we make our resolutions; 'To strike for excellence!', 'Never give up!', 'Deliver exception results!' but what if these promises we make to ourselves fall short. What then? I've had a semi difficult year and after watching The Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson, I began to feel even less adequate. To view such a master piece; a cast, set design and wardrobe merge to eloquently together in such a edge of your seat adventure, truly had me feeling small. I admit, it's not a very optimistic way to look at it.
    I did a little digging to uncover that my favourite costume designer of all time Maria Canonero was behind the wardrobe styling. Talk about feelings of mediocrity. It's my birthday! I'm supposed to be excited! Full of hope for the year to come! Ready to attack another 365 with gusto! But I don't feel any of these things. Instead I feel regular. Common. Like a dull, single, blade of grass. It was after reading more about their collaborative work that I began to really think on the creative process and what makes people 'great'. I was determined to find a simple explanation for greatness, one that I could simply explain (in later years) to my daughter. I wanted to be able to have an answer, something inspiring to say when she looks up at me with those big bright eyes and tells me she's feeling down. I didn't quite find exactly what I was looking for, but I did find some answers. Particularly the ones surrounding mediocrity. After a few days with these thoughts swirling around in my head, this is what I've concluded.

    Mediocre chapters in life, (for lack of better phrasing) present themselves for very important, very relevant reasons.We experience episodes of mediocrity as a test of the Universe of sorts to see who will push on, and who will give up. All greatness, however it may vary, requires a period of unwavering dedication. The problem is, you have to keep going until the Universe decides you've earned it, and that can feel like forever. This means we've all been presented with the same three choices;

       1.) Keep working, tirelessly, lovingly, consistently and humbly on what makes you happy, everyday, falling in love with the process. This concept is exemplified by my favourite phrase 'Focus on your form, not your strength'. This is by far the hardest choice. Pouring everything you have into something is, well...I still struggle. In choosing option number one, you have to constantly and actively reject feelings of self doubt, always choosing to overcome. And through everything, keep working. If you consistently give into these emotions, you will ultimately arrive at option number 2.

        2.) Work on and off and in doing so acknowledge that you're not going to achieve the same results as the person who is persistently devoted and don't expect to. We tend to get down on ourselves, (and by we, I mean I) and most of these feelings stem from a sense of entitlement that is undeserved. Why should someone who's wishy washy reap the same benefits as the person who's unwavering? If you make this decision, make it and stop complaining. No one whats to hear it. Or so I tell myself in the mirror...

       3.) Do neither of the first two, and accept it. The fact is, that not everyone wants 'greatness', not everyone NEEDS to be exceptional. Not everyone is so dramatic. Some people are happy just the way things are. And if you're not and you refuse to carry out option 1 or 2, then my advice to you my friend is grow up. Sounds harsh? It is. Come to terms with the fact that you've sacrificed the road of hurt and pain (and when I say pain, I mean painstaking) and cashed in for the cushy, stable, safe experience. This is the way the universe works. You have to put in time to get results and if you don't, don't expect any. 

So there it is. These are the options presented to all mankind. Grandeur and regularity are two sides of the same coin. We all have have to decide which side is worth the sacrifice. 

On that note, I'll bid you adieu *tips hat*. I've got alot of work to do. ;)

-P







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

CONTACT

INSTAGRAM: BALEXANDRAA
EMAIL: BIANCALEXANDRAA{AT}GMAIL.COM

Blogroll