NOVELTY: ROBERT WUN

(All images unless stated: 'Volt' by Robert Wun Fall/Winter 2014)

First of all, let me start by saying that I first viewed Robert Wun's previous S/S editorial entitled E.den and fell in love (click here to view). There is something so wonderfully romantic about this collection. It's as if he's captured the essence of a modernist she-Samurai from a post apocalyptic world, who spends her days dreaming of romance. How wonderful. I also read that this collection was inspired in part by the monumental Capela dos Ossos of Portugal and a book written by Japanese scientist Masaru Emoto. He wrote about how water molecules are affected by the projection of human thought and emotion. Is there a more intriguingly beautiful or poetic way to introduce yourself to the world of fashion?

After viewing its predecessor 'Volt' of F/W 2014, I immediately began to ponder on the word consistency. It was literally the first thought that came to mind. What it means to be consistent, and what it takes to maintain it. Our relationships, academic achievements, careers, physical and even mental health, all built on consistency (or lack thereof). It takes effort and persistence to maintain an optimistic outlook, to keep ourselves motivated, to constantly be inspired. It takes real love. To love something enough to persistently push to out-do your last, to strive for excellence beyond the result of you're last endeavour.

I have such appreciation for designers that pay so much attention to detail and give so much love to serving their vision it seems to come to life. From the jewellery to the gorgeously painted circles on the model's neck back (yes I just really said neckback) the collection is so carefully and wonderfully styled (I'm definitely going to swagger jack the circle appliqué!). For me, the work of Robert Wun combined with the art direction of Naomi James gets 10/10.  It's like a harmonious visual marriage between futuristic avant-garde African priestess and contemporary progressive Geisha who writes poetry, in the late 21th century.

My favourite looks are the black corset-like structured dress (the pic below) with high back (I could live in this look) the pale pink Geisha-like jacket/ dress combo, and the black on grey structured jacket with pleated mermaid skirt. OH! And lets not forget the gorgeous forearm bag turned waist clutch (like can I have one?!?! Please?!?!). Sheer brilliance!

And yes, I know these are all thoughts from behind the screen. I would relish the opportunity to view this collection up close and personal. Witness how the fabric moves when set into motion (and by motion, I mean on my body!). What glorious day that would be. Till then, I'll keep writing. Dreaming...

xxx,
-p


(All images courtesy of Robert Wun. Please click here to view his tumblr!)



















0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

CONTACT

INSTAGRAM: BALEXANDRAA
EMAIL: BIANCALEXANDRAA{AT}GMAIL.COM

Blogroll