There are few moments in ones life where everything changes. 'Aha' moments when things will never be the same hereafter. As I browse the world wide web I look around my room and notice the clutter. Loose papers, magazine clippings, cardboard boxes brimming with 'to do' projects, little black pencil cases rammed with more stuff and on and so on. I glance over at my stack of Vogue editions for a few moments I grab one at random and flip through.

For very first time I look at Vogue through different eyes. I see a visual and relentless attack meant for my subconscious to 'shop till I drop'.The articles inside are not about caring for your precious staples but how to mix and match 'trends'. The overwhelming excess. I close it shut. I feel disgusted. I look up the meaning of Minimalism. This is the moment. This is my moment everything changes.

After pondering the concept of minimalism a while, my moment comes, Is this not the way life is meant to be lived? Why do we live lives filled with such clutter? Such excess? Such excess and still a desire for more? Does concept of adopting a minimalistic aesthetic not allow people to view you for what you truly are removing all unnecessary distractions? What a concept. To present yourself to the world for what you are, without embellishment. In a time where we're constantly and consistently  being sold advertisements and lifestyles through every kind of media to sway us in believing we need not just select items, but everything. Does this not fall in line with also living a more holistic life?  Minimalism in my mind would exist in harmony with a more whole lifestyle. Taking only what is needed and returning gracious energy to the universe for what was received. Using things in their entirety and reducing your energetic and economic foot print. I have long since applied these principles to nutrition and clean eating, why have I not applied this concept to garments of clothing to the 'things' that surround my space?

I turn to my daughter whose now in my bed (due to :( nightmares perhaps she dreamt there whole world was void of her beloved rice crackers). What will I be remembered for? To re-iterate, I'm in no way saying that Vogue itself is repulsive, it's just my perspective of what it represents that has changed.  I don't think I'll ever look at it the same again. It's no longer food for thought.

Here's the definition of minimalism in regards to movement found on Wikipedia.


min·i·mal·ism  

/ˈminəməˌlizəm/
Minimalism describes movements in various forms of art and design, especially visual art and music, where the work is set out to expose the essence or identity of a subject through eliminating all non-essential forms, features or concepts. Wikipedia
What a wonderful, wonderful morning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

CONTACT

INSTAGRAM: BALEXANDRAA
EMAIL: BIANCALEXANDRAA{AT}GMAIL.COM

Blogroll